Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-08 03:54:19

samosa

Something went wrong when I used Publisher to manage my Home page

It was all going fairly well setting up my first website with the CE4 publishing suite.

I had a single image on my Home page, and I had a nice index page on the "Galleries" link which linked to all my pictures.

The small change I wanted was to have my home page as a slideshow of large images rather than just one large image.

I followed the instructions but have now lost my gallery index page and I have home page which is a grid layout rather than a single image slideshow.

Here is what I did:
I assumed that I should be using CE4 Gallery to design a single image slideshow for the home page. I had been using CE4 pages for the single image homepage, so I copied my CE4 pages templates into a new CE4 Galleries template (everything from the word Style to the end as usual).

I then uploaded the new gallery template into TTG-BE>templates>galleries. I also exported and then uploaded a new CE4 pages template with the option to allow page replacement by CE4 published ticked.

I then used publisher to upload some some new images following the instructions and selecting my new Home page template in publisher.

What did I do wrong? I'm not quite sure which product I should be using to design my Home page (with a slide show of images) so that I can update it in publisher. Should I have used CE4 Pages and save that as a template rather than using CE4 Gallery?

www.martinchamberlain.com 

Grateful for any help you could give.

#2 2015-11-08 04:43:13

rod barbee
Website

Re: Something went wrong when I used Publisher to manage my Home page

you're using CE4 Gallery as the template for your Home Page gallery. CE4 Gallery can be configured to launch a slide show upon opening, but when you close the slide show, you'll still have the thumbnail grid.
I suspect you want the Galleria slide show or the full-screen (flip or auto). For that, use CE4 Stage to create the template you want to use for the home page gallery.
see this post that shows exactly that: http://theturninggate.net/2014/07/the-p … home-page/

I followed the instructions but have now lost my gallery index page

Make sure you've assigned the Autoindex to the Galleries page
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … auto_index

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-11-08 08:22:17

samosa

Thanks Rod.

I don't own CE4 Stage. However, I've exported and uploaded a new CE4 Pages with more images selected and this now gives me the side show I was looking for. It needs some design changes like moving the image down but I'll figure that out.

www.martinchamberlain.com

So, can I change these images using Lightroom Publisher? Or, do I just need to re-export and publish a new version of CE4 Pages if I want to change the images which show on the Home page?

The other problem remains. I'm afraid that I've still lost the index of galleries on the Galleries page. I'm puzzled by this because I have not changed the auto index and in the Appearance panel of my new CE4 Pages template I see that in the AutoIndex section, the Page Assignment still has Galleries selected. I haven't changed this, and it seemed to be working before.

Really appreciate your help with they Rod.

#4 2015-11-08 09:20:19

rod barbee
Website

So, can I change these images using Lightroom Publisher? Or, do I just need to re-export and publish a new version of CE4 Pages if I want to change the images which show on the Home page?

No, you can't use Publisher to change the images. You'll need change images in the filmstrip in Lightroom then export and upload again.
After exporting, I think you can get away with just uploading the index.php and mobile.php files along with the photos/ folder.

If you want to manage it with Publisher, you'll need to get CE4 Stage.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2015-11-14 21:31:46

samosa

Thanks very much Rod.

If anyone was wondering about my other problem i.e. losing my index of galleries on my Galleries page, the moral of the story is don't simply upload a whole new set of CE4 pages files if you want to tweak your website design, because they overwrite the Galleries folder which contains all the automatically generated folders and files created by the Publisher function in Lightroom. That's probably pretty obvious to most people!

thanks again.

#6 2015-11-15 01:16:53

rod barbee
Website

because they overwrite the Galleries folder which contains all the automatically generated folders and files created by the Publisher function in Lightroom.

While it's always safest to not re-upload the galleries/ folder, if you set your FTP program's overwrite actions so that it only overwrites if the file size differs or source file is newer, then you should have no problems.
This way, any folders inside the galleries/ folder shouldn't be deleted.

"file size differs or source file is newer" are settings in Filezilla. Your FTP client should have similar settings.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer