Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-26 15:30:39

sileibo

Wordpress + Phplugin Navigation

Intended site design ....

• Initial design in Pages - Background / Menu Items / MastHead / Footer etc / Social Media

• Full screen flip for Home Page (managed by Publisher ideally)

• Galleries to be managed via Publisher.

• All other pages (various Info and About type pages plus one actual Blog) to be created and designed within Wordpress interface.

Questions:

1/ if the above is a crazy mis-guided plan, please let me know?

2/ If I follow these TTG instructions (link below) to use Phplugins to 'Magic' together the menu system between Lightroom and Wordpress ...

http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku.php?id=ce4_102

3/ What do I insert as my initial menu Targets during my initial Pages and Auto Index etc design?

4/ Once the 'Magic' has caste it's spell .... will I be then be able to rename, and add or delete any pages I like from the whole site from within Wordpress - is that correct?

5/ Regarding Dynamic Mastheads ... is there a difference between managing these for Pages pages (Home/Galleries etc) and for my Wordpress pages?

Sorry, for so many queries.

#2 2015-06-26 15:42:18

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Wordpress + Phplugin Navigation

1. That's what I do with my personal site.
2. Uh-huh.
3. Doesn't matter; you'll be replacing it. I usually try to mock up at least some basic, actual links, though, so that I can use the menu as a fallback if ever I need to remove WordPress for whatever reason (hacked, broken, etc.).
4. Yep. You'll be able to create whatever within WordPress, and whatever menu items you create will be shared with your galleries, etc.
5. PHPlugins can be used to supplant whatever you have in WordPress.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2015-06-26 16:39:34

sileibo

Thanks Matt,

2 more quickies please ....

following above ...

2a/   If (for the time being), I don't want multiple galleries, but I just want to be taken directly to a (lets say masonry) thumbnail
        gallery .... do I still install Auto Index - and/or, how to I make that work with the above Phplugin navigation guidelines?

(2b) are there two different answers for this depending on if I intend to introduce additional indexed galleries at a later date?

5a/   Is there a link for any Phplugin Masthead help/guidance (with Worpress as above)?

Thanks again.

#4 2015-06-28 15:08:53

Matthew
Administrator
Website

2a/b.
I would still set the auto index in place, then put the gallery in it as usual. For my navigation, instead of linking to the auto index, just create a directly link to the gallery. If you want multiple galleries later, then just update your navigation links as necessary; if you decide to link to your gallery index page, then you will already have it setup and ready for use.

5a.
Try Rod's tutorial, I guess.
http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … heads-ce4/

Whether you're using WordPress or not should be irrelevant. The mastheads are the same in all CE4 plugins. If you want to exclude WordPress from your PHPlugins function, then you can do that using conditions.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#5 2015-07-01 19:29:20

sileibo

Sorry, still struggling here.

Matt, as you have noted my site design is basically the same as yours ... Pages for Home/Flip & Galleries + all other pages generated in WP.

In your tutorial ....

http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku.php?id=ce4_102

Steps 4: The Exported Auto Index becomes /galleries at the same location as the WordPress files ....

(I think I did this originally and all was good. However, following some other initiative, (maybe in setting up Publisher?), I was advised to keep my galleries at top level - with the Pages outputs).

So, is this correct ....

Export Auto Index and have these files in a folder called 'galleries' which I use to replace the /galleries folder that was exported from Pages.

Then, fetch this server path and use in all other LR outputs - Pages/Gallery Templates/Wordpress etc

Continue with alterations to the /galleries/plugins/phplugin.php file

Is that the Magic Path?

Thanks again

#6 2015-07-01 20:11:53

rod barbee
Website

The instruction to create a galleries/ Autoindex folder is in the tutorial because it's assumed the user is creating a WordPress based site (not using Pages) and will therefore not already have a Galleries index page to use.
But you're already using Pages so you already have that Galleries index page (and the galleries/ folder)
You can still implement the WordPress navigation magic though by using the code in the tutorial. Your phplugins folder can be in the root of the site, just get the server path for it and use that in all the plugins, including Theme for WordPress.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#7 2015-07-01 20:45:42

sileibo

Thankyou Rod, you explain that very eloquently.

And just to be 110% clear .... all the exports from Auto Index become the /galleries folder replacing the one from Pages?

Sorry to be so slow, I guess I must be showing my age!

#8 2015-07-01 20:55:27

rod barbee
Website

And just to be 110% clear .... all the exports from Auto Index become the /galleries folder replacing the one from Pages?

Well, that's not the way I'd do it. I'd just use the Galleries page and galleries/ folder generated by Pages. The Galleries page is an autoindex so exporting an autoindex to replace the Galleries page and galleries/ folder is just an extra step you don't need to take.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2015-07-01 20:59:34

sileibo

But my Galleries page is being used by Pages as the Home screen with Full Screen Flip.

( and I need this as a separate Publisher managed gallery)

#10 2015-07-01 21:06:40

rod barbee
Website

But my Galleries page is being used by Pages as the Home screen with Full Screen Flip.

No, that's not the Galleries page. That's "the Gallery". If you look in Pages > Appearance > the Gallery, you'll see that you can assign "the Gallery" to any page, Home being one of them. You could even assign it to the Galleries page if you wanted.

The Galleries page is an index, not a gallery in and of itself.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2015-07-01 21:14:50

sileibo

Oh Boy.

1/ So, going back to the Wordpress Navigation Magic tutorial - I don't use Auto Index at all, instead I use the 'phplugins-sample' and the phplugins-sample > phplugins.php file that came straight out of Pages?

2/ And, the only thing I use the Auto Index for is to export and place inside the tag-be > templates > auto index folder (for Publisher to use)?

#12 2015-07-01 21:21:49

rod barbee
Website

1/ So, going back to the Wordpress Navigation Magic tutorial - I don't use Auto Index at all, instead I use the 'phplugins-sample' and the phplugins-sample > phplugins.php file that came straight out of Pages?

yes. but be sure to rename phplugins-sample to phplugins.

2/ And, the only thing I use the Auto Index for is to export and place inside the tag-be > templates > auto index folder (for Publisher to use)?

Correct

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2015-07-01 22:59:02

sileibo

RESULT - I have a working skeleton :-) :-) :-)

http://www.ce4.photostomp.co.uk

All I need now is find some decent content!

#14 2015-07-01 23:18:24

rod barbee
Website

be sure to update to the latest version of Pages (just released: 7.0.14a) to get rid of the errors seen here:
http://ce4.photostomp.co.uk/galleries.php

http://theturninggate.net/2015/07/ce4-p … 4a-hotfix/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2015-07-02 00:09:37

sileibo

Ah, yes I came across that error page earlier - I assumed it was my fault of course!

Is it possible to specify which Exported components from Pages must be replaced?

i.e can I use my previous and already altered / updated phplugins.php file .... or must I export and update this again?

#16 2015-07-02 00:44:37

rod barbee
Website

You can probably get away with uploading just the lib/ folder and the galleries.php page.

Also, you should only need to upload a new phplugins.php file if you've deliberately make changes to it.

Lightroom will always export the phplugins-sample folder if you have phplugins enabled. This is so that you can never accidentally overwrite your phplugins/ folder (because you've change the name from phplugins-sample)

I actually keep all my custom files: phplugins, custom css, etc., in a folder separate from my exports. This makes those files easy to find when I need to make changes and it keeps them protected against accidental deletion.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer