Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-22 02:23:57

charles_i

How do I publish a set of Albums within a folder in CE4 - part 2?

Sorry guys I was busy for awhile and not able to update this until now - I see the first post is closed http://community.theturninggate.net/post/24162/#p24162 so I have created a "part 2".

I think we're nearly there solving this.

OK so what it comes down to is this. In Ben's example, which works perfectly, the way I want it, the following files -  which are, of course, the auto index files - are uploaded to the "ben-photog" folder:

autoindex.xml
index.php
setup.xml
template_index.php

and the "wildwood" folder:

autoindex.xml
gallery.xml
index.php
lib.php

However, in my setup using "photog" and "WildWood" none of these files exist in either folder, thus no index appears. If I have this correct, I am only supposed to upload the auto index to the ttg-be/templates/autoindex folder.  I am not supposed to upload them manually to these other folders, so why are they there in Ben's installation and not mine?

Charles

#2 2014-11-22 02:54:48

rod barbee
Website

Re: How do I publish a set of Albums within a folder in CE4 - part 2?

If I have this correct, I am only supposed to upload the auto index to the ttg-be/templates/autoindex folder.  I am not supposed to upload them manually to these other folders, so why are they there in Ben's installation and not mine?

Because ben-photog was the Publisher target for top-level gallery folder. This needs to be an autoindex and can't be managed by Publisher because it's Publisher's target folder. Once you've set that as the top-level folder, you can use Publisher to place Album Sets (Wildwood) and albums.

I can only assume your photog folder is just a plain empty folder then?

If I remember your setup, you'll want something like this:

ttg-be/
photog/     (auto index  - also Publisher's top-level folder target)
         wildwood/  (album set)
                     2010/   (album)

and you'll also need to upload your autoindex to the ttg-be/templates/autoindex/ folder for use as an Album Set template

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-11-25 00:46:22

charles_i

you'll also need to upload your autoindex to the ttg-be/templates/autoindex/ folder.

Done.  It's always been there.

This needs to be an autoindex and can't be managed by Publisher because it's Publisher's target folder

Not sure what this means.  I have to have my top level folder set to photog/wildwood - since that is the top of my catalogue within photog.

Problem for me is that I cannot get the auto-index to publish in photog/wildwood.  Maybe the pics below will help.

http://whatwant.ca/photog/WildWood/ttg.html

I had to use the link - for some reason the image tag doesn't work.

Thanks
Charles

#4 2014-11-25 01:26:22

rod barbee
Website

Not sure what this means.  I have to have my top level folder set to photog/wildwood - since that is the top of my catalogue within photog.

no, you don't have to have it that way. If photog/ is the top level folder, then you can create an Album Set named Wildwood inside of it. And you can create Zoo and Nature inside of photog/ as well.
If photog/ is your top folder, and it's also an autoindex, then when visitors go to your photog/ page they will be presented with links to Wildwood, Zoo, and Nature.

Just like when you go to /ben-photog/. It's an autoindex page. It's also the top-level folder for Publisher. You can see links to Wildwood, Zoo, and Nature.

Just follow exactly what Ben did. Unless of course you don't want your photog/ folder to be an autoindex (as well as a way of your visitors to choose the links to Wildwood, Zoo, and Nature).

The reason that Ben's Wildwood folder has autoindex files is because it's an Album Set. Album Sets and autoindexes are essentially the same thing. It needs to be an Album Set (autoindex), otherwise all those galleries won't be seen on the Wildwood page.

The only reason to make photog/wildwood/ your top-level galleries folder is if you want to manage only that folder (wildwood) with Publisher and you don't care about managing anything else in the photog/ folder with Publisher.
Unless you want to create a separate Publisher instance to manage those, though I don't know why you'd want to do that.

I had to use the link - for some reason the image tag doesn't work.

the image tag works with images, your link goes to a page, not an image.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2014-11-26 06:11:52

charles_i

Please leave the if scenarios out of it for now - they're just confusing my problem.  I want my site to look exactly like Ben's example and it won't work like that.  I'm thinking it has to be something I've done in Lightroom itself.    Here's another screen shot of my settings and the result - same as always - I can't get an auto index to appear in "photog/wildwood" no matter what I try.  And the "Home" button in the first year's gallery "2003" goes to "photog" instead of "photog/wildwood".

Thanks

ttg.jpg

#6 2014-11-26 07:03:45

rod barbee
Website

If you want your site to look like Ben's example then why don't you just follow his instructions?

photog/  would be the autoindex and Publisher's top-level folder
Wildwood would be an Album Set, which is an autoindex

if you follow his instructions you should get breadcrumbs like this:

Home > Wildwood > album-name

at any rate. You're setting the top-level folder to photog/wildwood yet at the same time you're trying to create an album set named Wildwood. This will put an album set named Wildwood inside your wildwood folder. Is that what you really want?

Also, you've named your autoindex template "Wildwood Auto Index". Try renaming it without the spaces: wildwood-autoindex. Always name files and folders using only letters, numbers, underscores, or hypens. No spaces or special characters.

You say you want an autoindex named WildWood in the photog/ folder. What exactly have you uploaded there so far?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2014-11-27 05:18:52

charles_i

You'll be happy to know I finally have this solved. smile 

My mistake number one was setting the top-level folder to photog/wildwood - but I assumed I had to do this for each level of auto-indexes when you said:

By using autoindexes to the /photog/ folder rather than using Album Sets you're forcing yourself to create a separate Publisher instance for each of those autoindexes you upload. Unless that's what you want.

Mistake number two was missing the brackets in this line and just looking at the levels you created:

photog/           (autoindex uploaded via ftp - this would be the top level galleries folder)

I was under the assumption that an autoindex should never be uploaded to anywhere other than the templates/autoindex folder manually via ftp.

So, I created an auto-index and manually uploaded it to photog/ which now will be the top-level auto-index, and I set the top-level folder in Publisher to photog/ so that now each Album Set will be an auto-index within that folder.  Only one instance of Publisher is needed.

Thanks for all your help.  Sorry about all the back and forth figuring this out.

Charles

#8 2014-11-27 06:10:13

rod barbee
Website

YAY!!! smile

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer