Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-25 03:52:23

richam
Website

CE3 Cleanup

Having successfully upgraded to CE4, there are still a number of files left on the website that are obviously CE3. Many have files ending in _ce3.  There is a "panels" folder at the root which still has outdated CE3 information.  There are probably more folders and files that are no longer needed and can be discarded.  Do you have a guide on how to accomplish a CE3 cleanup?

#2 2014-08-25 06:58:54

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: CE3 Cleanup

Just this:
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … ce3_to_ce4

"panels" doesn't sound familiar. What's that?

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2014-08-25 15:33:44

richam
Website

Matt,  the "panels" must have been something I added erroneously.  It had some old HTML files and I deleted it all.  Your reference doesn't specifically cover files with _ce3 appended: lib_ce3.php, index_ce3.php, gallery_ce3.xml, download_ce3.php, etc etc, where the equivalent file without the _ce3 exists at the same location.  Is is safe to delete the _ce3 appended files?

#4 2014-08-26 16:27:23

Ben

These are simply the old CE3 files renamed with _ce3.  If you are confident that the migration was successful then they can be safely removed.

The purpose of leaving the old files (as renamed copies) rather than deleting them is to have some hope of reversing the migration if it went horribly wrong.  We don't have a process to reverse the migration, however the files are there so that a process could be created if needed.

#5 2014-08-27 00:26:19

richam
Website

Ben, thanks for the reply.  I downloaded panic copies of all the _ce3 and ce3_ files to my hard disk and then deleted them on the site.  There were 2,414 items totalling 14.5 mb.  Didn't save a lot of space (although 14.5 mb is larger than my first hard disk some 30 years ago), but reduced the clutter quite a bit.

Ben wrote:

These are simply the old CE3 files renamed with _ce3.  If you are confident that the migration was successful then they can be safely removed.

The purpose of leaving the old files (as renamed copies) rather than deleting them is to have some hope of reversing the migration if it went horribly wrong.  We don't have a process to reverse the migration, however the files are there so that a process could be created if needed.

Board footer