Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-17 00:53:28

Ken
Website

Is it possible to test PHPlugins and custom CSS in sub-directory?

I added a subdirectory, /webtest, in my website server directory. Inside this I upload all of the Pages, Gallery files, so I can test changes before incorporating them into my main site. I am just learning about PHPlugins and custom CSS. I enabled custom CSS by modifying the phplugins.php file as instructed. When I open the test site the background is red, which is good. But when I modify the custom CSS file to remove the color change portion or even completely delete the file, the test website is still red.

I have tried modifying the server path to PHPlugins for the webtest Pages: first I tried blank, then I tried /webtest, then I tried the path returned using the http://www.yourdomain.com/webtest/phplugins/path.php. None of these settings seem to make webtest Pages refer to the correct location of the modified custom CSS file. It appears that by default it is referencing the unmodified Custom CSS file in the subdirectory /phplugins/css rather than the file in webtest/phplugins/css.

Is there any way to get my webtest pages to references the webtest/phplugins folder?

I would like to be able to experiment and learn about customizing the PHPlugins and custom CSS files, with out changing my working website.

Last edited by Ken (2014-08-17 01:11:17)

#2 2014-08-17 01:13:50

rod barbee
Website

Re: Is it possible to test PHPlugins and custom CSS in sub-directory?

you're using your real domain rather than "yourdomain.com" right?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-08-17 01:26:08

Ken
Website

rod barbee wrote:

you're using your real domain rather than "yourdomain.com" right?

Yes

#4 2014-08-17 01:42:39

Daniel Leu
Website

It is always helpful to post a link to your test site in order to be able to identify setup issues. But I found your test site...

The phplugins path should be the one reported by http://www.yourdomain.com/webtest/phplugins/path.php. But since you are in a subdirectory, you have to adjust the CSS path inside phplugins.php as well.

So instead of

function ttg_head_end( $style, $path ) { 
    echo '    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="/phplugins/css/custom.css" />';
} 

use

echo '    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="/webtest/phplugins/css/custom.css" />';
} 

That's one of the reasons I create subdomains for my test installations instead of using a subdirectory.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#5 2014-08-17 02:12:31

Ken
Website

dl wrote:

It is always helpful to post a link to your test site in order to be able to identify setup issues. But I found your test site...

The phplugins path should be the one reported by http://www.yourdomain.com/webtest/phplugins/path.php. But since you are in a subdirectory, you have to adjust the CSS path inside phplugins.php as well.

So instead of

echo '    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="/phplugins/css/custom.css" />';
} 

use

echo '    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="/webtest/phplugins/css/custom.css" />';
} 

That's one of the reasons I create subdomains for my test installations instead of using a subdirectory.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did this and now the webtest site background color is normal. But when I replace the custom CSS file with the custom CSS file with the red instructions, the test website does not change red. I cleared the browser cache, so this shouldn't be the issue.  Any suggestions?

Last edited by Ken (2014-08-17 02:12:57)

#6 2014-08-17 03:18:20

Daniel Leu
Website

The path to the CSS file should start with a '/'.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#7 2014-08-17 03:27:26

Ken
Website

dl wrote:

The path to the CSS file should start with a '/'.

Thanks for your help. I think it is working.

#8 2014-08-17 09:05:03

Daniel Leu
Website

Yes, it points to the correct file now.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

Board footer