Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-10 10:30:06

JBL

Problem adding Watermark on Export from Lightroom

I'm using the Lightroom Plug-in with Backlight 3 and wish to add a watermark upon uploading photos to my website. I can successfully add a watermark when exporting to my desktop, in two ways. Either by checking the Watermark option in the LR export dialog, or, I have a plug-in called "LR/Mogify2" which allows text to be put on the image. Both work fine when exporting to desktop, but not when using the TTG plug-in to publish to my website. I have tried Edit settings for the TTG publisher to the website to include the Watermarking option and also the LR/Mogrify 2 option. Also have gone to the individual album and done Edit Album And selected one of my watermarks under the Watermark to apply option (one of the ones marked "Global"). None put the watermark on the photo published to my website. Any ideas?

#2 2020-05-10 11:00:05

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: Problem adding Watermark on Export from Lightroom

Hmm.. I don't think you can use Lr/Mogify2 (I wish I could), but the watermarking by Lr works. Did you by chance set the Lr Publisher option 'Push metadata without updating existing photos'?

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#3 2020-05-10 11:42:59

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Lr/Mogrify2, Lightroom doesn't allow us to route our export through another plugin.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#4 2020-05-10 12:22:50

tgalex
Website

Matt - is that a programming thing with LR?  I ask because I’ve been using Mogrify2 to add borders to my images for several years with no issue as I export the raw file to a smaller jpg for use on the website.  I then use the LR Publisher to add the watermark to the jpg image as I publish to BL.

#5 2020-05-10 12:49:56

Ben

As the developer of the LR plugin, I think it’s a limitation in how our code works with the Lightroom SDK (software development kit). It’s been a long time since I looked into it so I’m not completely sure of the following cause. Lightroom’s publishing system wants to create one rendition per photo, and when it does it that way, the chain of other plugins get called. Our Publisher creates its own order of doing things so that we can generate multiple renditions per photo. That breaks the way that Lightroom would then interact with other plugins.
It was necessary to build it that way so that all the renditions of each photo could complete before moving to the next one. Otherwise we’d have the case where all the rendition types for all photos in the collection would need to be created before doing that again for each rendition type. That makes for a poor user experience as there would be a long delay before any photos started to be marked as published, and also creates issues if publishing stops for whatever reason. You could end up with the situation of all of your photos only having some of their renditions published.

#6 2020-05-10 20:41:45

JBL

You are correct. The problem was that I set the Lr Publisher option 'Push metadata without updating existing photos'. The watermark option in LR now works. Also as you discussed above LR/Morify 2 does not work. But the built in LR watermark is good enough for what I want to do. Thanks for the help.

#7 2020-05-10 21:54:56

tgalex
Website

Ben - thanks for the explanation.  I think I’ve been bypassing the issue by using Mogrify to create my intended look before I even reach the publish stage so in reality the plugin is still only being asked to publish the image I send it.  I find the LR publisher to be great for adding the watermark to the finished version.

#8 2020-05-12 14:39:59

tomowensphoto
Website

I'm also experiencing a problem with LR generated watermarks. I publish everything through LR. I'm using Publisher 5.0.1 and have tried on a test page using hero images https://tomowens.openpoint.co.uk/galler … down-2020/ and also on a Galleria test page (now deleted) and the watermark will not display.
The push metadata option is not checked and I have tried deleting and re-publishing plus clearing browser cache to no avail.
Any pointers?

Regards,
TomO
Just a simple photographer
Live site at http://tomowens.openpoint.co.uk/

#9 2020-05-12 16:15:31

tomowensphoto
Website

OK, this must be an LR thing as it took an early morning walk to think about testing the export of a file from LR with watermark and that does not work either so the problem is not with publishing.

Regards,
TomO

#10 2020-05-12 16:46:00

tomowensphoto
Website

Just in case anyone else gets this, it is an LR 'thing'. Despite having published images with watermarks this year and having my Grey2020 graphic wm already in use LR did not recognise it when I went to Edit Watermarks in LR Classic (MACOS) so I had to recreate it in PS and save again as PNG and change to the new file in LR and now it works.
Weirdly, my 2019 Watermark was recognised and I could have applied that. I'll just have to look out for this Adobe feature each and every time it updates my PS & LR installation...

Regards,
TomO

#11 2020-05-13 00:57:33

Daniel Leu
Website

Thank you for letting us know what the culprit was. Another of these 'Lr things"....

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

Board footer