Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-19 05:15:17

leftyimages

Album settings to download higher resolution files

Everyone,  been late in upgrading from CE4 to Backlight 2 but have finally pulled the trigger and started the process. One thing that I think have noticed is that with CE4, if I created a page with the Web Engine that in the single view of an image if you save the picture, it would be the full-size image. In Backlight 2 it seems that the download file is 960 pixels on the long (usually horizontal) edge. 

Is there other behavior or settings that I need to change so that if I upload a file that say is 1600 pixels on the long edge that the original file can be downloaded from the Album in Backlight?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2020-01-19 05:53:13

rod barbee
Website

Re: Album settings to download higher resolution files

Have you checked out the documentation?
http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … -downloads

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2020-01-19 07:12:43

leftyimages

@Rod. Thanks. Yes, I reviewed it during setup and testing. I was initially trying the upload straight from Backlight Admin panel/control and was testing upload of files say 1200 pixels but when download it would download at 960. I think I did notice that if it was portrait perspective the whole file did download so I think there is a limiter on the horizontal aspect.  I was trying to develop a workflow that would not be LR dependent as I work from desktop and sometimes laptop and would rather export files in batch and then upload via Backlight if possible.

#4 2020-01-19 07:17:31

rod barbee
Website

I think the limiter is the image size you've set in the album template under Image Renditions.

If needed, you can always upload the hi-res versions manually

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2020-01-19 07:40:39

leftyimages

@Rod. Yeah. I have explored those settings and even if I change the "Photos" (not thumbnails) to 2048 px width it still limits to 960.  Not sure if this is an uploader limitation or other setting?

#6 2020-01-19 07:50:15

leftyimages

@Rod. I see. So the original file via Backlight goes from about 335kb to 73kb. I know there are compression variables as well. Resolution pixels goes down. So I create the album and upload via Backlight. Then with FTP client find the album and then manually upload the files via FTP. Then when viewing on web browser and download, it then downloads the 335kb file. Requires the extra step but then will have the larger file and will not be depending on LR.

#7 2020-01-19 11:49:40

rod barbee
Website

I just created an album template with image renditions set at 2048px and downloads set to use Photo Rendition.
I exported an image from Lightroom at 2048px on the longest side.
In Backlight, I created a new album from the template. Then added the exported image to the album using the Backlight Publisher upload utility.
From the online album I used the image’s download link. The downloaded size was 2048px on the long side.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2020-01-19 15:47:58

leftyimages

@Rod. Thanks for testing. I thought I had created the same settings previously when trying to do this.  I just did the same and it works now. I'm not sure if Updating Album files also helped straighten this out. Files that were 2400 uploaded to 2048 on the long edge so basically whatever you want the final file size to be, that album needs to be that setting OR I think when i uploaded the file via FTP then it would have uploaded at 2400pixels.

Maybe that was it? Originally it was defaulted to 960 when I created the album.  I changed the template to 2048 but it did not update on the album? So the individual album was still set on 960?

Last edited by leftyimages (2020-01-19 16:03:59)

#9 2020-01-20 00:07:01

rod barbee
Website

If you make changes to the template after uploading images, you need to re-upload the images, making sure the images you’re uploading are the same size or larger than what’s set in the template (see the instructions on the upload photos page for each album).

This is the same for creating albums with Lightroom Publisher. If any changes are made to template image (or metadata) settings, then the images need republishing.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2020-01-20 00:44:02

leftyimages

@Rod. Yeah. I think that is what happened the first time I was trialing it. I updated the settings but then didn't click to "Update Album Files" in the "Special Links" section of the Backlight2 Dashboard. I think it works now.

Thanks again.

#11 2020-01-20 02:48:48

rod barbee
Website

updating album files should have no affect on the image rendition size.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer