Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-09 20:14:26

sknarberg

Download not Working - Better documentation please!

I have configured the Default Album Template with Image Download and have Source set to 'Create custom download rendition via Publisher'.

When trying to download an image, I get the error 'File not found".

Files for download exist on the server and I have been through all settings over and over again.

I wish the documentation were better, so there wasn't so much waste of time. This goes for the documentation for download not going over topics like needed settings for PHP or PHP modules, if needed???

Also this page http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … _phplugins seems to lack information about how to enable PHP for a template like the Default, since I see no settings in the template for enabling it.

#2 2020-01-09 20:51:06

Ben

Re: Download not Working - Better documentation please!

Unfortunately, we can't document for every rare exception.  That's what these support forums are for.

Can you provide a link to an album where downloads aren't working?  Also, it would be helpful if you could provide me with a Backlight admin login, so that I can see whether this can be fixed within the settings.

#3 2020-01-10 00:22:32

rod barbee
Website

sknarberg wrote:

Also this page http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … _phplugins seems to lack information about how to enable PHP for a template like the Default, since I see no settings in the template for enabling it.

At the bottom of that page under "Enabling PHPLugins" you'll find the instructions.

When enabling PHPlugins in your template, make sure you're editing a Page Template. You won't find this in album or album set templates.
Once you do this then choose the phplugins file you've modified for your use.

sknarberg wrote:

I wish the documentation were better, so there wasn't so much waste of time. This goes for the documentation for download not going over topics like needed settings for PHP or PHP modules, if needed???

Needed PHP versions and PHP modules are shown on the products page: http://theturninggate.net/backlight-2/ at the bottom under "Hosting".
Changing any of this needs to be done at the server level either through your host's CPanel or you can contact your host if certain modules need enabling.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#4 2020-01-10 06:47:07

Ben

rod barbee wrote:

Needed PHP versions and PHP modules are shown on the products page: http://theturninggate.net/backlight-2/ at the bottom under "Hosting".

Also, a PHP version and module sanity check is performed every time Backlight runs, and and an error message shown if the requirements aren't met.  If you're not seeing such a message then to the best of our knowledge your environment meets Backlight's requirements.

#5 2020-01-13 19:38:55

sknarberg

Thanks Ben and Rod, I'll try some of these things out.

I wish though that some of this rather important information would have been posted in the documentation on the respective topics fex. PHP plugins or a link to the other pages mentioned here.

Like with a lot of things in life things are clear and simple if you're well into things while the same things are not as obvious for a newcomer. The count of support topics might give a clue about this. That said I very well know that it's a big task to keep documentation updated...

/ Steen

#6 2020-01-13 22:17:02

Ben

As above, we can not document for rare exceptions.  The user manual for all the quirks on various hosts and setups would be a million pages long.  Without further input from you we have absolutely no idea why this is not working on your particular setup.  If we find it to be due to a shortcoming of our documentation, then we'll improve what we have.

Much of the support topics is filled with questions and advice on advanced topics such as PHPlugins or custom CSS.  These provide flexible extensibility that advanced users often delve into, and aren't required to use use products.

Are downloads working  for you now?  If not, can you provide a link to an album where downloads aren't working and also provide a Backlight admin login, so that I can see whether this can be fixed within the settings.

Board footer