Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-16 04:19:15

r_zulewski@hotmail.com
Website

Fancy Box image download no longer working on mobile device

My pages include the sidebar menu that allows the visitor to share the photo with Facebook, Twitter, etc and important to me, download the photo.  Recently, I noticed the download fails when the browser is in mobile device mode.  It works fine in desktop mode.  On my android device the it fails unless I ask for the desktop mode.  It appears to be trying to download a image.html file instead of the image.jpg file.   On iPads, I get a permissions failure.

If I use a Windows desktop everything works as expected.  If I use the Chrome F12 key to switch to device mode, it also fails on a Windows desktop.

This is a problem on all of my websites and all of the albums using the Fancy Box image download button.

Any clues on what I have done wrong or how to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Richard

#2 2019-11-16 06:59:24

rod barbee
Website

Re: Fancy Box image download no longer working on mobile device

Can you post a link to an album so that Matt and Ben have something to look at?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-11-16 07:16:35

r_zulewski@hotmail.com
Website

Yes, of course.  Two websites are myrivercreek.com and mskiwi.com.

Albums not using the slide show templates are affected.  Such as https://galleries.myrivercreek.com/gall … #gallery-4

Or  https://mskiwi.com/galleries/190907allkindsofphotos/

Thank you for the quick response to my question.

#4 2019-11-16 09:25:14

rod barbee
Website

what version of php is your site using? You can find out by going to Backlight and in the main dashboard, click on the View php info link

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2019-11-16 12:29:39

r_zulewski@hotmail.com
Website

Php version 7.0.33

Last edited by r_zulewski@hotmail.com (2019-11-16 12:30:01)

#6 2019-11-17 06:43:49

r_zulewski@hotmail.com
Website

I just noticed that I do have one website which is still working as expected.  I do not know what the difference would be in the websites as they are all hosted on Bluehost and to the best my ability all of them are maintained the same.  The working website is:

https://mattituckclassof69.com

One point that might be the issue.  I have a new computer with a new installation of Lightroom.  Same as my other computer.  I have updated the broken websites with the new computer.  I have not updated the working site with the new computer.

Richard

Last edited by r_zulewski@hotmail.com (2019-11-17 06:44:34)

#7 2019-11-17 09:16:31

rod barbee
Website

one thing you could try is updating the album files from the link on the Backlight main dashboard page (under Special Links)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2019-11-17 11:23:08

r_zulewski@hotmail.com
Website

Hello Rod,
I did try that already.

Richard

#9 2019-11-17 23:55:57

rod barbee
Website

Forgot to ask if Backlight is up to date

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2019-11-18 01:11:17

r_zulewski@hotmail.com
Website

Good morning,
Yes, I was wondering if that might be the issue because the problem was noticed after the last update.  It may have been there before that.

#11 2019-11-18 03:48:33

rod barbee
Website

you're using the same php version as I am and I'm not having issues with downloads on mobile in my test site.
Wondering if it's a .htaccess file issue.
Anyway, I've exhausted my basic troubleshooting guesses. Ben or Matt will need to look into this.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2019-11-18 09:39:53

r_zulewski@hotmail.com
Website

Good evening Rod,
Thank you for your efforts in helping with this.  I wondered if it was the .htaccess file, too.  But I am not a coder so I don't know what to look for.  The three websites in question all have different .htaccess files.  I tried coping the working one to one of the others and it did not help.  But I suspect the individual directories have those files as well.  I only matched the one at root of the website.  I could put that one back if it really screwed up the website.

It strikes me as odd that it is only an issue with the mobile device layout. 

Richard

#13 2019-11-23 13:46:47

Matthew
Administrator
Website

There's nothing odd about it. Mobile file systems are not the same as desktop file systems, and so downloads are tricky business.

Nonetheless, we have devised a solution and it will be rolled out in our next release.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#14 2019-11-23 15:20:00

r_zulewski@hotmail.com
Website

Hello Matthew, thank you for the reply.  I apologize for not seeing this before now.  I understand your comment, but cannot understand why it does not apply to all my websites.  And it seems odd that all the changed files are dated Nov 15 2019 1:34 am.

I updated all my websites with the latest version of Backlight 2, but I did not publish new photos to all of them.  Only the ones that had new photos received the new .htaccess and other files which prevent direct download on mobile devices.

None the less, I am excited that there will be an update which will address the problem.  I love your software and recommend it to every photographer I meet.  You software saves me countless hours of work.  Posting 600 photos from a weekend event used to take me days, with your software I can post the photos in two hours.
Richard

#15 2019-11-24 06:42:56

Matthew
Administrator
Website

r_zulewski@hotmail.com wrote:

I love your software and recommend it to every photographer I meet.  You software saves me countless hours of work.  Posting 600 photos from a weekend event used to take me days, with your software I can post the photos in two hours.

I do like to hear that. I'm glad to know that our software has impacted your business in such a positive way. big_smile

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#16 2019-11-24 07:06:28

r_zulewski@hotmail.com
Website

Hello Matthew,

Yes, without a doubt Backlight 2 has been a tremendous impact to my business.  But that was up till last month.  As of right now, none of my users are able to download the photos because of the problem with the .htaccess you have recently added to the photos-for-download folders.

The update .12 posted last night did not solve the problem. 

Can you just change whatever script is creating the files when we update the Backlight Index files?
Richard

#17 2019-11-24 07:48:57

Ben

1. Visit Backlight Module
2. Click Reinstall on the line for module-publisher, if the link is present.  Otherwise click Reinstall All under Backlight 2
3. Click Update Album Files on the main Backlight Admin page

#18 2019-11-24 08:22:35

r_zulewski@hotmail.com
Website

Good evening Ben,

For the myrivercreek.com website I did the three steps as described.  When I try to download a photo on my phone it displays the full size photo on my phone, it does not download the jpg file to my device.

May I suggest we close out this thread and move the conversation to the one titled, "What changes did Backlight 2 upgrade make concerning .php"

Richard

#19 2019-11-24 08:24:38

Ben

Those steps remove the .htaccess files from photos-for-download. That is all.

#20 2019-11-24 10:03:21

r_zulewski@hotmail.com
Website

Little surprised you removed my reply.  But I understand.
Richard.

#21 2019-11-24 10:24:06

Ben

Hi Richard, which reply was that? I haven’t knowingly removed anything.

#22 2019-11-24 13:00:05

r_zulewski@hotmail.com
Website

Good evening Ben - maybe I fat-fingered the submit button and closed the webpage before it posted.

I said I was sorry for putting you guys through all this effort only to have me be less than happy with the final result.  And I explained why this is a big issue for me.

I typically take photos of events.  My last one was 250 6th grade students during their science class field trip to test the water in the Potomac River.  The final cut was over 600 photos, and I need to take several photos of each student to ensure there are good ones for each student.  The school uses them in their yearbook, the students and parents download the originals to print as a memento.  While the school can certainly download using a PC, students and parents typically use a mobile device.  With the recent update to Backlight, the students and parents are now unable to download the photos.

Before that, it was the community haunted forest.  Several hundred photos of the kids in their costumes.  Normally, Halloween would be about 800 photos, this year's rain meant we had to close down early.

It used to be simple.  These instructions are on every album page:

"You are free to download and share photos so long as you do not do it for profit. Click the thumbnail, then click the icon in the upper right corner of your screen. Then click the icon that looks like a black cloud with a down-pointing arrow."

Now you expect them to view the photo, then click the icon and wait for the screen to refresh with the same image, then either long-press the image, select save image or click the download button on the Chrome menu bar.  After either of those actions, it then saves the file as download.jpg instead of the actual filename.  This will result in them downloading the compressed 640x960 image most of the time.  And if they download a second photo, they take the risk of overwriting the prior download.

In short, this "upgrade" has now made my websites unsuitable for their intended purpose.  An easy and simple method for the users to download the photos they ask me to take for them. 

I truly appreciate the work you have done, and before this "upgrade," absolutely loved Backlight.  I have no idea why you made the changes this past month, but from my point of view, you have ruined an outstanding product.  A month ago it worked like a charm on mobile devices and PC's.  The sites I have not updated still work.  It is the ones that I updated to the current version that no longer work as they did.

I have tried to be both polite and honest with my comments.  It is not my intention to be a jerk, and I do appreciate the assistance you provided over the last couple of days.
Richard

#23 2019-11-24 18:41:47

Ben

It may not be your intention, but the double-talk of praise and damnation doesn't help as we spend time trying to solve this.
We make changes to improve our product for a variety of reasons, some glamorous and others less so.  In this case, we added further protection on key folders that ultimately serves to protect your site from malicious users. 
There are many, many moving parts to Backlight, and many, many permutations of how it is used and configured.  All this across desktop, mobile, a variety of browsers and servers, and upgrade paths and backwards compatibility spanning years.  Sometimes changes cause things to break in ways that we can not foresee.

I have put in an another attempted fix, which is in our _testing_ stream.    Can you take the time to try out the following album: https://somethingchanged.com/photos/hol … ighlights/   1) see whether the links now correctly either force the file to download, where browsers support that function, or otherwise display the image in the browser.  And 2) if the latter see whether images save with the correct filename.

If that still does not work then we have another approach to try.

#24 2019-11-25 04:15:43

r_zulewski@hotmail.com
Website

Hello Ben, per your request.

1) am I able to download the image

- Current Windows 10 with current versions of Chrome and Edge.  Both of those worked as expected.

- Current IOS on iPad with current Safari and Chrome.  Safari worked as expected.  Chrome did not.  It produced a URL ending in "download.php 1,600x1066 pixels".  However, if I then select the Chrome share icon, I can save the file to one of the options like Dropbox or Outlook.

- Current android on Pixel 3 with current Chrome.  Worked as expected.

2) does downloaded image have existing filename

- Chrome and Edge on Windows 10 kept the filename.
- Safari on the iPad kept the file name.
- Chrome on android Pixel kept the filename.

Richard

#25 2019-11-25 05:56:25

Ben

Hi Richard, that sounds like all tests passed.

Board footer